Thursday, July 25, 2013

100 miles with GOD


Photo provided by New England Conference of the United Methodist Church

100 miles with GOD

I was obedient and did what I was told to do. Daisy and I set out on what would become a 100 mile trip by foot from Macon, GA to Passion City Church in Atlanta, Georgia. I had no clue what this was about or what it was for. HE DID! What GOD did in 3 days was more than I could have hoped for in a Human lifetime.

Pre-Journey

Distractions are all around us. They prevent us from discovering what is true. When you discover Jesus and come to GOD the worldly distractions increase their presence to derail your new path. This is my story or testimony of the 53 years of events that led up to this journey that Daisy and I took.

I was given two weeks and a dead line date to find a job and alternate living arrangements. In actuality, GOD was giving this dead line for a new learning experience to make me a better person; for HIM. The old John would have been freaking out and a nervous wreck during this time period. However, it was observed and commented on that I was very calm and peaceful. However, I also received other comments from people that could have been taken as “What is wrong with you?” Or, how about what is right with you?

I spent my time for two weeks prior to this trip filled with accomplishing goals for potential employers. Potential companies and owners that were not providing any income, but wanted proof of my abilities that could be deposited into their bank accounts. They did this as a pre-employment test before a potential job was given. I sent out more and more resumes. These efforts were done with hopes that one resume would hit a company that did not follow this new practice of getting something for nothing. I could write a book about the scams and traps in the current job market. However, that is another story for a future time or place in time.  What is important is the fact that I was being prepared for what was to come. There are many stories in a book written a very long time ago that follows the same plot as my story, but distractions get in the way of truth. I have read these stories, but sometimes they are just words and stories. This becomes reality when you read these scriptures with the help of a true friend. That true friend is the Holy Spirit. When that happens, life happens!

I was clearing my plate for this journey and did not even know it. In fact, I was letting go of everything worldly or what was left of my worldly treasures to follow a weird feeling or task that I was being given. There is no way to express in writing this weird feeling, direction and or communication that I was getting. For some strange reason, I was being led to take a walk with my dog. I am thankful that I was obedient and GOD thanked me for being obedient to HIM.

I have to make sure that you, the reader, know that when you tell this direction to people of the world around you, you’re going to be looked at as if you need a state run puzzle or basket weaving factory for a long rest period. Some comments were; “Have you lost your ever-loving mind?” If this ever happens to you, be prepared for this worldly normal and even so called Christian reaction. Trust me, you are going to get it and it will have social strength behind it.

Being led to take a walk with your dog to Atlanta? That is a 100 mile walk, are you crazy? What in the world are you talking about? My answer would be that “I don’t have a clue.” I did not share the required destination stop of Passion City Church in Atlanta with many people that asked. I didn’t know its meaning or purpose. I really don’t know much about this Church or Pastor. I have never been there before. The only experience that I have had with this organization was to watch a YouTube clip from Louie Giglio given in Houston, TX. Two years ago!  Sternly, I would get questioned about where this insane calling was coming from. Why don’t you have a plan or why don’t you have a purpose for this trip. My consistent respond to these questions was “I don’t have a clue, but I hope that I am hearing the right voice.” Wow, be careful when you give this type of response to people. It does not take many signatures to have you warehoused to protect society and a poor animal saved from abuse.

The departure date was delayed by one day. Did I do this, maybe is what crossed my mind, but it was planned by the One above. There was a large push by those companies that did not want to pay a base salary for my productivity with requests that would be for their bank accounts. There were also three tasks that I couldn’t explain that needed to be accomplished in that specific time slot. Those three tasks were a Bible study with my disciple partner, a SKYPE interview with a headhunter in India (I had no minutes left on my cell phone and could not afford to buy any), and to broadcast an article that my mentor had written back in 1999. Go figure, well, HE did.  The Lord can work in mysterious ways. Have you ever heard this statement? Why was there a delay for one day and how did it get accomplished? Well HE used my newly found aging attributes of falling asleep when I eat and need to have a full eight hours of sleep and a nap during the day to HIS advantage.  I accomplished these three tasks and I will let you see how they fit into this journey by foot. They come into clarity now, but had no meaning then.

The Bible study was full of questions from me and an unwavering position on my part at the misguided meanings being presented by my disciple partner. My mentor had just got back from Bear Creek Ranch in southern Georgia. Bear Creek is a deliverance and inner healing ministry. He took time to share with me a lesson on faith, quantum physics, and moving a mountain. Remember this one statement, because it plays out in the end of this story. Also remember Matthew 17:20 it will be at the end of the journey. He has been sharing with me the power of positive and negative spoken words. A person can either have a blessing or a curse spoken out of their mouth without even knowing it. At one point I stated to my disciple partner that your responses were “tonal” and that it was time to drop me back at the roof that was over my head. There was also a realization of how strong my miniature schnauzer smelled in her closed vehicle. Remember this revelation of how the dog smelt, because it will play a role in the end of this story.

The second task was an SKYPE interview for a new position with a company that was based out of New York City. My first worldly thoughts were that even personnel recruiting activities have moved offshore these days. Wow, what has happened to the current economy? For some unknown reason, I started to do my due diligence on the Internet about the recruiter and the client they were trying to fill the position of Channel Sales Manager. Guess what I found doing my research? The name and contact information for a former boss of mine from my solution selling days in California.  The first thing I was compelled to do was to look this former boss up on Facebook and relay a message to him that I needed a job and could he help? We will get to the outcome of this contact at the end of this story.

The third task was in the realm of the unknown to me. I remembered the conversations that my mentor would have at many Bible studies in Macon, GA. These conversations were about what marriage was supposed to be like when GOD is in control. My mentor had just lost his wife of many years and wants to have a wife again as long as it is in GOD’s will. Something compelled me to ask him if his statements were in electronic form and could he find them. I was going to make it possible for them to be viewed and shared with the world on the Internet. I have no clue why I did this, GOD DID.  It took many hours for the search to produce and locate the original file. This original file was written in the year 1999. My mentor spent the rest of the afternoon putting the finishing touches on this file with the help of the One above. Marriage and the Family was the title of this piece of work from so long ago. Funny thing about it was the ending. The expression or answer that was conveyed at the conclusion or end is Zero Zero. That is the answer and that is what leads to success. It is in a blog that I created and can be found on the Internet. Zero Zero, go figure! GOD DID.

Next thing I knew it was time for bed. The hour was getting late when I laid my head down on the cot in the basement where I stay at. Oh did I need sleep for the many miles ahead of me and Daisy. At fifty three years of age and being out of shape the need for sleep was very important. Well, that was not to be. In the dark silence of the basement my mind and thoughts was becoming an obstacle.  An obstacle with the intent of ultimate distraction.  This distraction had the goal of preventing the upcoming journey by foot.  There were relentless thoughts and logical arguments to not do this journey. This went on for many hours. I could not find rest or peace from this assault. It was as if the skillful arguments were scripted and made perfect worldly since. All I could think of and beg for was relief from all these distractions. No matter what I tried or thought of did not work.  I looked at the large numbers on the clock by my cot and saw that it was 4:00 AM. I got up and logged on to a Bible movie from YouTube. I could have read the Bible, but my eyesight is failing me at this time. You would not believe the size that I have this MS WORD document at on my computer monitor just to type this story. So listening to or watching the word of GOD works for me. Guess what? My mind went clear and peace returned to me. I got the most wonderful amount of sleep in those few remaining hours before our departure from Macon, GA.

When I woke up there was no experience of panic packing for this trip. This is something very different for a traveling software salesman that is used to living in motel rooms. Sorry, an unemployed traveling software salesman. I just packed a few pairs of dry socks and a change of underwear in a backpack that I was blessed with. I filled a nylon bag with a Bible, a notebook, a few pens, and writing paper. Oh don’t get me wrong, I did think about Daisy. I overloaded a backpack for her with 30 pounds of dry food, water, and treats. Wow, did that bag get heavy along the way. At one point in the trip, I was talking to her with the threat that she was going to have to carry some of this weight. Don’t worry little girl if that happens, Daddy still loves you. I was not taking a camera or any type of computer. This is very strange for someone that has made his living for the past 20 plus years using technology to do so. I was leaving electronic contact with the world that I had been relying on for most of my life. I even found myself saying to people the saying that “GOD will provide”. I didn’t even have fear for our safety. That is not me and that was diffidently not the “Old John.” I just did what I was asked to do by a feeling or communication that I cannot explain to you the reader. Have I gone nuts? Or was I being obedient? Have I surrendered to GOD? I will let you decide.
I believe HE did…

 Additional Comments from the Social Media regarding this trip.
I put out direct, yet vague questions, to the Social Media regarding a 
“What if” trip. Here are the responses that I got back.

Discussion: What if?
Lots of water and food, and good walking shoes!
By Lisa N

Discussion: What if?
I would ask God for what I should do?
By joe w

Discussion: What if?
That is a very good question that I never thought about before. hmm I need to think of this. First of course I would need to pray to God on what I should bring which obviously would not be very much for a foot journey. The Lord has brought me to some scripture where He sent out the disciples in Matthew 10:9-14. Do not take along any gold or silver or copper in your belts; take no bag for the journey, or extra tunic, or sandals or a staff, for the worker is worth his keep. Whatever town or village you enter, search for some worthy person there and stay at his house until you leave. As you enter the home, give it your greeting. If the home is deserving, let your peace rest on it; if it is not, let your peace return to you. If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town.
I know this is extreme, but a foot journey would require what Jesus told the 12 disciples. The Lord would keep me and guide me on this.
By Julia G

Discussion: What if?
It is beautiful when the Holy Ghost show and pays attention what he's got to say. Praise God.
By joe w
Julia G likes your discussion in Christian Networking Group (Online Community)
In the past day
"What if?"

Discussion: What if?
Hmmmm. It's interesting to see you asked a question that requires tangible physical qualities and follow that up with a question that is intangible. That should tell you something. Before you begin a physical journey, you must begin a mental journey first. The universe is mental first.
By Anthony (Tony) K

Discussion: What if?
I would take a smartphone, an ATM card, and solar charger :) and see as much as I could see.
By IntelliChristian! Web Design

Discussion: What if?
I think more often the target, if there is one, precedes the "setting out." I can tell you what I've discovered in several journeys, not by foot, back and forth across and up and down the lower half of North America (if that's what you mean by "throughout this land of ours"), but it was not what I expected when I started.
By Barbara Kellam-S

Discussion: What If? - Travels with GOD
A new discussion group and a nice website John! And Daisy is adorable. I'm copying the link to your website here so people don't miss it.
By Barbara P
Barbara Parker has sent you a message.
Date: 7/13/2013
Subject: RE: Travels with GOD
Hi John,
Congratulations on the new group and the website. Very nice!
Blessings,
Barbara

On 07/12/13 3:59 AM, John Mahoney wrote:
--------------------
Dear Barbara,
I love GOD, but my dog is going to have an issue with me this time. It was not until 2 AM when the Holy Spirit showed up in me last night. WOW, I didn't expect this!
http://johnmichaelmahoney.wix.com/travels-with-god
Thanks so much for everything.
Blessings,
John

PS: I love this message from one of members on LinkedIN: What if?
That is a very good question that I never thought about before. hmm I need to think of this. First of course I would need to pray to God on what I should bring which obviously would not be very much for a foot journey. The Lord has brought me to some scripture where He sent out the disciples in Matthew 10:9-14. Do not take along any gold or silver or copper in your belts; take no bag for the journey, or extra tunic, or sandals or a staff, for the worker is worth his keep. Whatever town or village you enter, search for some worthy person there and stay at his house until you leave. As you enter the home, give it your greeting. If the home is deserving, let your peace rest on it; if it is not, let your peace return to you. If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town.
I know this is extreme, but a foot journey would require what Jesus told the 12 disciples. The Lord would keep me and guide me on this.
By Julia G

Discussion: Can GOD conquer fear?
Yes in a way, you have to conquer the fear but He is there with you all of the way, you trust Him
By Elizabeth A K

Discussion: What if?
This reminds me of a paper I had to once write for a class after reading "The Things They Carried". I would hope to find greater insight. I would bring with me some spiritual reading.
By Nichol H

Discussion: Can GOD conquer fear?
Absolutely! In my just-completed book, I state that trust in God is the antidote to fear. As an anxiety sufferer, I'm living proof!
By Brian H, CFA

Discussion: The homeless: Are we neglecting the bread of life?
I am not living on the street they are among the many people I work with. Lots of people don't understand the spiritual solution. They want a disconnected quick fix to a much more personal problem. As you know initial causes often relate to mental illness and drugs. Lots of people can improve if they can overcome these issues and deal with them one day at a time. It’s not easy no matter where you do it. Lots of people can come up with the resources they need in time but they have to be able to manage things before they can.
By Drew G

Discussion: Spirit of Macon
Wow-wow-wow would be understating the impact of your testimony John. May the Lord continue to bless and use you for His glory!
By Barbara P

Discussion: Can GOD conquer fear?
I am challenged to remember that the Lord hasn't given us a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and a sound mind. I have done things without the Spirit of God leading me and sometimes they've worked and sometimes they haven't. But, when faced with fear, and I knew that God was leading me to do something, it always seemed that the fear was magnified somewhat by not knowing all of the steps I was taking and when.
Even with a plan written out, He caused me to pray and seek His face more. When I came out on the other side it always glorified Him and not me.
Bottom line, yes, God conquers fear through His Spirit, Word, prayer, and fellowship within the Body of Christ. Prov. 3:5-6
God bless, Phil
By Philip L

Discussion: Spirit of Macon
God said he promised us, he will never leave us.
By Joe w

Discussion: What if?
Just to clarify my statement earlier, there is a small paper written by Rene Descarte called Discourse on Methods. Basically he says that the only things in this physical world that can be proven are that I (you the reader) exist and that God exists. He completely rules out anything that concerns physical reality and only deals with intangible mental thoughts.
By Anthony (Tony) K

Discussion: Zero Zero – A must read for married people.
Thanks John. A long article, but well worth reading.
I think Calvin nails down most of our problems in all societies and relationships with the words, " One of the most prominent claims of our day is: “I have my rights!” ... [There] is the deadly belief and philosophy that raises personal rights above any other right, or any other person’s rights. There used to be a respect for the nation that inspired personal sacrifice and others honored that sacrifice. Today, that philosophy is almost extinct."
We need to get back to Jesus' simple second commandment to love our neighbors as ourselves. If we just did that, the whole world would be changed.
By Barbara P
On 07/15/13 12:48 PM, Philip Lower wrote:
--------------------
Hi John,
Thanks for connecting with me. Hope you have a great week!
God bless,
Phil L

Discussion: Can GOD conquer fear?
Here is a direct quote about fear from the Bible....
"1 John 4:7-18
Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. 8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. 9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. 10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another. 12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us. 13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit. 14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world. 15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God. 16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him. 17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world. 18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love."
By Wanda S

Discussion: Can GOD conquer fear?
One more quote from the Bible: 2 Timothy 1:7
"7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. "
1 Peter 5:5-11
"5 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble. 6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: 7 casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: 9 whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world. 10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you. 11 To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen"
By Wanda S

Discussion: Can GOD conquer fear?
So, I went to visit my mother who was abusive and an enabler for other abusers throughout my childhood. I had not seen her in 10 years, but under the direction of God (an entire different story), I took my children to meet her. The entire week leading up to the visit, I tried to take on the anxiety and fear myself. That was not too smart, as I was enveloped with these emotions the entire week. The day of the drive, I said a prayer asking God to help me get through the trip and to please help me with the emotional aspect beginning that morning, and He did! I had no fear or anxiety during the entire 5.5 hour drive, and none throughout the visit!
Now, you may ask why I didn't pray to begin with, and I'll tell you, I'm new at this praying thing. I want to submit to God, but am just learning that the best way to do that is to pray for His help. I never knew how much He could help until that day, and now I know.
So yes, God CAN conquer fear, because I know for a fact that my fear and anxiety did not leave me that day because of something I could do on my own. For me, the statement is no longer "mind over matter." I have changed that to be, "God over matter!"
By Kim H

Discussion: Zero Zero – A must read for married people.
I believe you are equal souls of god. It’s all in unity, oneness, shared love of GOD the father, and holy spirit......OH YIKES, "I DO"!
Do I dare say, "Plenty more rights, more privileges, and grander expectations in unity with god, as a couple". haaaaa
Bring on all the kinds of love Jesus has for a married couple to share in him!! AMEN
(When you have been together forever, lord knows we all will take what he has to give!)
We start & end the day by giving thanks, (and many times throughout the day), for all we are blessed with, and do our best to give back to him for the love we share in him.
John, you know I'm not this serious ALL the time! :D
By Lori Rudolph-D

Discussion: Can GOD conquer fear?
I agree with all of your comment, but urge all of you to remember that not only did God not "give us the spirit of fear," he gave us a place to put our fears. Cast your cares upon him for he cares for you. God in his infinite wisdom and grace takes our fears and gives each Christians the ability to face life's challenges with dignity by putting on the full armor of God daily in out walk with Christ.
By Dr Turner J

Discussion: Zero Zero – A must read for married people.
like this
By BRENDA E

Discussion: What if?
No matter the journey, Physical, Mental, Spiritual, my first thing to do, seek God's direction. No journey can be made without God leading, at least in my life, nor would I want to even try.
By BRENDA E

Discussion: Can GOD conquer fear?
Yes, yes & yes again; no matter what sort of fear we're talking about, God has made it possible for us not to live our lives dominated by them.
By Graham W

Discussion: What if?
I would take my pen and note pad as I am doing now and touch peoples live by just a being me. I dont have means to travel or the money yet I can cross the miles and distance and land right in your lap, right here. What if....the possibilities are endless!
By Debbie H

Discussion: Delay
So you're starting right off with evidence of Psalm 4:8, "In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety." :)
By Barbara P

Discussion: Can GOD conquer fear?
1 John 4:18, "There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love," and He is our Perfect Love.
By Barbara P

Discussion: 100 Miles with GOD!
So what did He do in those 3 days John?
God's ability to get things done fast is kind of like it would be if we were putting together a jigsaw puzzle and were stuck because there were missing pieces so we couldn't get the whole picture (or solve the problem). Enter God, who holds all of the missing pieces, and in an instant He joins together all of the loose ends to produce a very finished result.
By Barbara P

Discussion: What if?
I guess I would like to retrace some of my former journeys and adventures, hopefully run into some of the same people all these 40 plus years later, to pick up on the vibes and see firsthand for myself how much people have changed, revisit some very beautiful and magical places, while weighing my present innocence and state of awareness and receptivity. A sort of evaluation and self-examination of the progress I've made with my Magnum Opus and how much people have changed, or willing to change yet, and what they are aspiring to.
By Paul G

Discussion: What if?
I would bring the basics and pick up whatever I need on my way. If I was on foot, I wouldn't bring much. I try not to think about what I would expect to find because I wouldn't want to be disappointed with what I find -- only pleasantly surprised.
By Catherine K 

And they are off! – The Journey
A journey of faith: with only GOD and a miniature schnauzer, the author set out by foot to find out what GOD wants John to learn from his people throughout the U.S.A. 
Well ATLANTA

One will never fathom the amount of unsolicited advice people will give when there is a journey getting ready to begin. I am not talking about the comments from the Internet, but the ones from friends. Beware of the bears and packs of coyotes; get ready to say goodbye to Daisy. Bring along plenty of foot cream and make sure you have a smart phone. These are just a few of the comments that I was given. There were also unsolicited responses to the “Why” for the purpose of this trip.

The following sticks out in my memory. It is all about a publicity stunt to sell books. That is a good one. When my legs and back started to hurt, I kept looking around for the mobile five star motel and TV crew for pain relief. There was none. I have only sold 4 books to date, but have given away several for no charge. So, that dog does not hunt, as they say in the south. The hurt and pain will play a very important part in the rest of this journey. It will be an example of when it is GODs Time and not Our Time. 

I remembered a Macon Rabbi said that there are two sermons that he considers to be the greatest. One is long and was delivered by Jesus called “Sermon on the Mount.” The other is short and was given by Jesus’s mother at a wedding that ran out of wine. She said; “Do whatever he says.” However, there was one unsolicited comment that summed it all up and became true. That comment was, “Trust in the LORD”. WOW, would that one phrase become the most important thing I have ever heard in my life. Those words were spoken to me by my mentor when he dropped Daisy and I off in Juliette, GA. Yes, the journey was by foot, but HE never said to me not to accept a ride when it was offered. We never solicited a ride or hitchhiked during the journey. That is against the law or something like that.  Daisy and I were dropped off a few miles from Juliette at a convenience store on Georgia route 42 north. The law says that you are not allowed to be a pedestrian along the Interstate highway system. Daisy and I were going to obey the law of the land or to the best of our ability throughout the trip.

The first thing we did was to sit down outside the store and to have a cold drink and a smoke for me. Yes, I am not perfect and still have a bad habit that has control over me. I am working on it. Then the weight of the world hit my shoulders. What in the world am I doing in the middle of nowhere and how in the world am I going to take care of my loving dog. It felt like a ton of emotional bricks had just been unloaded on me. What was I going to do, I thought? Out of the corner of my somewhat good eye, I saw a customer putting ice into a cooler. I paid no attention to what was going to happen next.

As I stated, we sat down outside of the store. Well, I forgot to mention that there was a pile of backpacks and Daisy’s bowl. I was going to carry all this and it was in that pile outside of the store. As the weight of the world was placed on my shoulders I noticed someone putting something in Daisy’s bowl. The female customer had walked over to where we were and put the remaining ice she had and water in my dog’s bowl and said be blessed. Does anyone remember a scripture from the Bible in Matthew 10:42. It is very important.  At that very moment I knew that this was HIS journey and I was not alone. Let the learning begin and let John get out of HIS way and not be worried about worldly things anymore! I cannot even describe the amount of peace and joy that came over me. I just hope everyone can receive it.

After a few minutes it was time to load up and start walking. All I knew was the direction was north to Atlanta and we were to go to Passion City Church. What for, I had no clue. None!  We walked about a mile up the road learning how to carry the weight and protect Daisy from the passing traffic. A mile might not seem like much, but it is. I remembered a former US Army member telling me that they use to make 23 plus mile hikes with full packs in one day. Well let’s see them do it with a dog that wanted to sniff every step along the way. I believe now she was teaching me to smell the flowers. Ever hear a saying about slow down and smell the roses. Well, wild flowers will do just as well. I do have an issue with all the dead Armadillos along the road. I didn’t even know there were that many Armadillos in Georgia. Oh and all the trash along the road. Passing vehicles seen to throw this garbage out the windows of their vehicles all the time. Come on people, why can’t you just take your trash to a can when you stop for gas. I cannot throw stones in a glass house, because I have been just as guilty on occasions. However, I can say this from personal experience; why do drivers that have been drinking have to use Daisy and I for target practice for their half-filled beer bottles. Is there not a drinking and driving law…

We walked about a mile or so. My 53 year old mussels were making their protest know to me in a big way. Oh did my feet hurt and we had just started our trip. How and the world were we going to make 100 miles when a little over one mile took its toll on me. All I saw was a pick nick bench under a metal roof for covering to provide shade. That area looked better than the Hilton Hotel to me at that time. So we altered our course to make that a much needed stop. I never noticed the building next to the pick nick bench with the steeple. GOD DID!  Next thing I knew was that my 53 year old body was sprawled out on top of it and snoring sounds were coming out of my mouth. Well, I was told that I snore. I never noticed that a miniature schnauzer was also on top of me sound asleep as well. However, the new Pastor for that Church did. That is when we got to meet Frank Davis, Senior Pastor for the Juliette Baptist Church.

Upon awaking, I remember responding to the question about being OK. My response was an apology for collapsing on the table and falling asleep. I relayed that Daisy and I were on a journey to Atlanta and for some reason the major stop was to be Passion City Church. I was asked if there was anything else that I was leaving out; like unemployment, homelessness, etc. No was my weary travelers response. Plus I added that in my old heathen days, one could say that I had been there and done that. However, this trip is me following a direction from GOD to go to Atlanta. Well, I hope that was GOD’s voice or Daisy and I are cooked. I got the most wonderful glowing smile back from Pastor Davis; nothing else. It was like he understood.  Pastor Davis asked me if I had eaten today. Then all of a sudden I remembered feeding Daisy, but forgot myself. I have gotten use to putting her needs before mine. I replied no. He made the most wonderful feast for me. He brought two of the best tasting ham sandwiches, chips, a bottle of lemonade, and mint filled Oreo cookies. Daisy got fresh cool water. He even had a treat for her as well. He made me promise that I would not tell his wife where her homemade biscuits were going to end up. Well, I guess that cat is out of the bag now; sorry Pastor! Daisy loved and devoured them.

We got to talk about the good book. He filled me in on how he had only preached one sermon so far and it was to the 12 members of his new church. It says in the book that wherever two or three shall gather in my name, he will be there. Matthew 18:20.  It seemed like we talked forever, but it was not that long. I remember only one of my statements. It went something like, Pastor you have quite a challenge before you. He said what do you mean? Is it because of the small size of my church? No, I said. Look what one guy did with just 12 people a few thousand years ago. Our conversation must have made an impression on Pastor Davis, look what he emailed to Daisy and I.  Frank J Davis – “It was a blessing to meet you and Daisy today on your journey. I have had you on my mind all evening and shared your story with everyone at VBS tonight. I will be praying for you and Daisy for protection and for a blessed trip. I hope you will come back through whenever you come back this way!! God Bless!!!”   WOW!

Pastor Davis drove Daisy and I up the road as far as he could and dropped us off in a small town at the original location for Fresh Air BBQ. This landmark restaurant was just a wooden shack, but the food is well known in the region. Macon has one of their newest additional store locations. What a pleasure it brings the other big city in Georgia. That is a funny thing to think of Macon as the other large city in Georgia, when Atlanta is just up the road a ways. Daisy and I plopped down on some wooden benches near the front and the open eating area. I could not help to overhear an argument between a young couple sitting near us. I got up to go inside a cup of ice. A young lady from South Carolina offered to pay for the cup of ice. I didn’t turn down her generosity, but was worried about what a few miles had me looking and smelling like. On my way out the couple was in the heat of battle.  I walked up to the arguing couple and asked if they would excuse my interruption. I asked if one of them had a smartphone? The answer was yes. I am only asking because, my mentor has an article for married people to read on a blog. It is called Zero Zero. Who knows it might help the two of you with all your differences. What do I know, I have never been married. GO FIGURE!

The young lady quickly pulled up the article while her partner looked at me as if I was a low life! I knew at that moment the miles did have me looking ruff and not smelling like Old Spice anymore. I made my way back to Daisy and sat down. I did overhear the young lady reading out loud my mentor’s article to her husband.  About a half hour passed and I was still trying to get the sweat out of my eye, when I noticed a figure of a man standing in front of me. It was the husband. He said thank you for saving their marriage and that they were going to share Calvin Jackson’s article with all their married friends. He also said bless both of you. I was asked if I needed anything. My reply was unless you have an air-conditioner and a pillow top mattress in your pocket then we are fine.

It was time for Daisy and I to make the walk down the road to Jackson, GA. A driver said it was only a mile down the road. I found out that drivers do not really know distance when they drive. What seems like a mile when you are driving is really three when you are on foot. Well, off we went. What a sight we must have been. I remember having to collapse twice under some shade trees along the way. Gently, we were nudged by voices saying “get out of here you bums, before we call the police.”

There was one business selling premade buildings that looked open. It was not. I wanted so bad to get us some cool water. Poor Daisy had her little tongue hanging out. Now the backpack that I was blessed with did have a water bladder inside of it. However, I knew it was warm and I thought that we needed something cool to drink. I started praying for cold water.

Near the end of the three miles we must have been wobbling while walking down the road. A car had pulled over in front of us and a man got out and started walking toward us with a bag in his hand. I could see bottles of water inside of the bag. Looks like the two of you could use some cold water, he said. Wow, does GOD answer prayers!  He told me that he too had spent a few years on the road and camping out during his experiences with unemployment and other things, what bring you to this situation. I said that GOD told me to walk to Atlanta and go to a church called Passion City. His reply was, OK then. Well there is a foreclosed home just up the way with an open garage or carport. You and Daisy should hide in there for the evening and get some sleep. I will check on the two of you in the morning, he said. Sounds like a plan, I replied.

That is what we did. The carport was full of dirt and spiders, but looked great to me. Does anyone know how loud a freight train is? Well, on the other side of the carport was a train track. The busiest train track in Central Georgia. I was amazed that the concrete floor of the carport was still in one piece with all the shaking the passing freight trains caused every thirty minutes. I did not care, because all I wanted to do was to get an airline blanket out of the backpack and go to sleep. That was not going to be.  Do you remember in the beginning of this story where I told you about the night before we left? My mind and thoughts would not let me fall asleep. That was nothing compared to what my mind and body did to me on out first night on the road. I experienced the worst night and the best night in my life. My feet and my back were taking turns on which one could produce the most pain. I had never ending thoughts of giving up, what was I doing, etc. I felt that I was being eaten alive by bugs. This went on until the wee hours. Nothing I had learned in my Rookie Christian walk with GOD was working. I had no relief or means to get relief from this relentless assault of logic. I finally gave up and asked GOD to take over. It is all in your hands and I commit ourselves to you. The ball and responsibility of our wellbeing is in your court and hands, GOD. Just then, Daisy crawled up into my arms and an indescribable peace and calm came over me. I was not in pain when I fell into the best rest I have ever had. By the way, GOD is better than any can of Raid. I didn’t get one bug bite. This is from a guy that has to be taken to the hospital for a bee sting.

Our new friend stopped by to see us the next morning. He said that he could drive us up the road, but not all the way to Atlanta. My feet welcomed that offer and the dog and I load up into his mini-van. He made his way to the Interstate when the light conversation changed. I was told that he was not an ordained minister, but had become a Christian believer. Also, he did not have a degree in physiology, but with all the experiences that he has had with mental illness and current medications, he could be. So in his learned opinion he diagnosed me as having Schizophrenia and going through a bout of mental illness. The mini-van turned around at the 212 exit and I was informed that he would be keeping Daisy while he dropped me off for treatment at a Mental Institution. I was informed that GOD had our paths crossed and that he was changing my direction to help me. He stated that GOD does not want you to walk and be ill. Really was my reply. What if GOD had our paths cross for you to learn something from me, I said. What if your actions are well intended, but not of his will. That statement was received with a long period of silence on his part. I reiterated that I was given a direction from GOD to make this walk to Atlanta and that it was GOD’s will. You are telling GOD that his plan or will was not as good as yours. I really don’t think you want to be telling GOD that, I said. Next thing I knew, Daisy and I were back on GA 42N and not headed to a separation and a Mental Institution. We were let off in a town called Locus Grove, GA. I also had a past memory come into my head of a sermon at Beth Yeshua International in Macon, GA. The Rabbi said that one must remember the power of three. The power of three, what in the world was he talking about. I was only there to take pictures for a book that I was finishing called “What is Religion?” However, I was listening to his message and not just taking pictures of the Saturday service. I cannot explain the meaning of this message like the Rabbi did. You can look it up on the Internet. However, the bottom line went something like this: if the intentions or actions line up with the Scriptures and is for the Glory of GOD, go for it, otherwise it is worldly. Remember this one, because it is going to play out with some of the next events of our journey.

We got started walking north along the road. It was long way and there were only beautiful farms between the next town. One does not get to look at the signs when you spend most of your time looking down and protecting a little dog from the passing traffic. I did get to see a vehicle stop in front of us. It was a police cruiser. What happens next is something out of a TV show.

Where are the two of you going, I was asked. Do you have any identification? Our treatment turned into an investigation. I was questioned to find out if I was a wanted criminal, a vagrant, and a panhandler. When that questioning turned out to produce evidence of my innocence, deeper investigation ensued. I was even told that only a mentally ill person walks along the road. Was the dog stolen? This went on for quite some time. It was announced that the officer was a Christian in good standing in his church and I must be hiding something. I was searched for drugs and weapons. Something had to be wrong the officer thought and he was going to get to the bottom of it. To his chagrin (SAT BUZZ WORD) I was clean and free to go. The only thing in my bag was a Bible, some socks, and a change of underwear, not drugs. The K9 unit enjoyed the backpack with the dog food and treats in it. Look the policemen were just doing their job, but they did have to go overboard doing their job. Just get out of my county quickly or you will spend the night in jail, he said. We don’t want your kind around here!  We walked and we continued to walk with more vigor. It took us three plus hours to get out of that county. There was only one more incident in that county. It makes the above conversation about the power of 3 and the statement “where is a policeman when you need one” apply.
A car pulled over and the passenger window rolled down. A voice announced to me to get in. This was coming from a Preacher I was told. Well, the Spirit told me to try the power of 3. The stated position of Preacher did not hold water with my feelings. There are many people today using the church and the 501 C3 tax credit to their advantage and know nothing about the Bible or GOD. So strike one. I asked if he knew what Matthew 5:16 was. The reply was no, strike two crossed my mind. Then I asked, “Why did Jesus speak in parables?” The answer was I don’t know maybe Jesus did know the local language. STRIKE THREE! Daisy and I did not accept the ride and were back to walking down the road. His car quickly drove off as another vehicle approached from behind him.

Just when I could not take one more step anymore and Daisy was ready to collapse, we came upon a convenience store. Now I know what a mirage in the desert looks like to someone in that situation. That store looked like a gift from above. Little did I know it was? GOD did!

There was a crepe myrtle shrub or tree with a large amount of shade under it. We made our way to it with hast. I dropped our pile of things under it and went inside to fill her bowl with cold water. The employee took one look at me as if I was going to be trouble for him, until I purchase a cold drink and a candy bar for myself. I took our treasures out to under the shade and collapsed with my dog. Minutes later a car pulled in and parked next to us. The window rolled down and a voice commented on my 911 numbers- to-call t-shirt. It has scriptures for everything a person might need if they find themselves in trouble or in need. A Lady Pastor got out of the car to inform me that she has the same shirt. However, hers is not as dirty or had the smells like mine. She also commented on that the dog smells better than I did. Remember how I stated earlier that the dog had an aroma in the closed vehicle back in Macon. That time and place in Macon seemed so far away now.  After being questioned on how she could help us and accepting my responses of thanks, but no thanks. Daisy and I were treated like human beings. We were fed and blessed. The hospitality was second to none.  Maybe I am here to help you, I stated. We must have talked about the good book for hours.  Then all of a sudden, there was silence. Wait a minute, she said. Are you the John Mahoney on the Internet? I replied, yes. She told me that she replied to one of the many questions that I place with the social media. I was asked if I remember the question that was posted titled rescue me from me, Lord. She replied to it. It helped her and many others. It is a small world, right? It gets better.

She got more and more people to show up to that wonderful shade tree in the parking lot of the convenience store. I had no idea what all this was or what was going on. They did. I was even offered a 40 pound bad of dog food for Daisy. My response was bless you all, but you have to be kidding. I can’t even carry what we brought with us and now you want me to increase our load by 40 pounds. We came to the conclusion that it would be a good thing to give the bag of food in Daisy’s name to a no kill shelter.

It was a while before I was informed that their street ministry was coming to an end. These new people were all Pastors that were sharing the word with the people in need, but had burnt themselves out doing so. They did not have the strength to continue on their path. They asked GOD for a sign to continue their work with the addicted, unemployed, and homeless people living on the streets. Who knew that a dirty guy and a dog taking a walk were going to be used as that sign? I didn’t. HE did!  We were complimented on our obedience to GOD’s direction to make the walk. That same obedience was going to give them strength for their continued mission in the name of GOD. Wow, all I did was collapse with my dog from the walk and my increasing age. No you didn’t, I was told. You have shared what GOD has done in your life. Do you have any idea how much we needed to hear it and see it. She even said that the world needs it too.

It was if Daisy and I floated the 6oo yards down the road to where we were going to spend the night. There was what I thought to be an empty distribution center called Kings Mill. Well it looked empty from the way we were approaching. I was going to be educated on that fact in the morning. There was a row of bushes in front of a concrete covered entrance. We placed our belongings behind the bushes and on the covered area. By the time I got the Air New Zealand blanket over me, there was a miniature schnauzer tucked in my arms. It took seconds for me to fall asleep. We slept for 13 undisturbed hours. I wish that everyone can experience the most wonderful peace and calmness ever. It was like we were on the softest mattress in the world.  It was not until the next day that I was informed that thunderstorms came through where we were. The kind of violent storms that can blow down trees and hurt a house and we slept right through them. The sky was even filled with jet airplanes on their approach to the Atlanta International Airport. We did not hear a thing and slept like babies cradled in the arms of the Father. I pray that everyone can find this moment with HIM! I woke with the loving tongue of a dog licking my face early in the morning. McDonough was a few miles down the road and that new city would have coffee for me and maybe a special treat for Daisy. I had no clue that the special treat was just a few steps away. GOD did!

We started our journey by foot again. This time there was no pain and we both were refreshed and had strength. My head was clear even when I could see a very long road in front of us. Off we went, not knowing what this whole trip was for or about. Oh boy was I wrong. Now comes GOD’s time.  There may have been miles and miles of walking ahead of us, but it was like we were walking on a cloud. Please don’t ask me to explain it. I can’t. When my mind cleared itself, I was given the message to be delivered to Pastor Louie Giglio of Passion City Church in Atlanta. I was given the “Why” regarding this trip. Next thing I knew we were in McDonough. Can you believe that this was accomplished by a middle aged man and his dog that got passed by a turtle during parts of our walk? Something was happening and it was not of this world.

We got to the side of a convenience store and plopped down and sprawled out our things. Something told me to write down what was shared with me. So I obediently did. Some time had passed as I filled page after page on my notepad, when I heard a voice. No the voice was not GOD, it was that of a young punk and his friend. I was informed that they were going to take our belongings and the dog. What are you going to do about it old man. I was whipped and could not even lift my arm. All I got out of my voice and deep inside my heart was GOD help us…  Just then another voice coming around the corner said; he might not do anything, but I will. The biggest black man made the turn around the corner. He was big enough to play on the front line of the Atlanta Falcons. He grabbed the two punks by the ears and said to them that they were going to a Bible study whether they liked it or not. The Pastor, whose name fails me, asked if Daisy and I were OK. My reply was GOD has our back and we are just fine, thanks. He informed me that for some reason he had to use the bathroom and never stops at this store. However, he was as glad as Daisy and I were. A big sigh of relief came out of my mouth as we safely sat there. We were blessed by his assistance during the time when a quick stop for his bodily need was the only intention.

A few minutes passed and Daisy became excited. All I saw was the front plate of a truck that I recognized. It had a saying on it that said Prayer Changes Things. I had seen that before in my 53 years, but where? I knew that my disciple partner had a plate just like that one on her truck, but she was in Macon, GA. Then I looked up and there she was sitting in the driver’s seat of her pickup truck. Michele was a sight for my sore eyes.  After an amazing greeting, I was asked if I wanted to do a Bible Study with the Holy Spirit running it and not her worldly emotions this time. Wow. GOD knows what we need before we know what we need. My response was this; would it be possible to do it at Passion City Church? Sure, was the response, even though we were still 40 miles away from Buckhead, Georgia? Daisy and I loaded up and the journey continued to our final destination.

I was enlightened when we arrived by what we discovered. The fact that no one took the time to even return the three emails that I had sent to the church in the last week, did not strike me as much as what was next. The “Gatekeeper” informed me that the building was closed and that we could not even use the bathroom. That was not as bad as the fact Kyle seemed unfamiliar with the Pastor’s name. I told him that I had to deliver a message to the Pastor from his boss. I was told that the Pastor does not have a boss and it would be a few more days before there was a service open to the public. Try back then was announced as a very expensive Apple Laptop was being sign for and delivered.

Guess what, it did not faze me as you might have thought. I was led to the belief that this is a normal issue with this mega-church and the message that I was to deliver could be a solution to this situation. I was supposed to experience this first hand. Why in the world would GOD use an unemployed traveling software salesman that is used to getting no for an answer and getting around the gatekeepers for the last twenty plus years to deliver a message to a celebrity pastor? Why? Wait a minute those are not my learned talents from over the years, they are his. Why because, I am his and was created in his image. The pieces are starting to fit together. What better skill set to deliver such a message? Particularly since I have now accepted GOD into my life and want to build a relationship with HIM. Thank you and praise you GOD for choosing me. I will get it done with you by my side. These were the thoughts that went through my head. Just then my cell phone rang. It was the head of a major company with a job offer for me. Looks like my former boss from many years ago had been busy talking my skillset up with his largest customer. What a gift that was dropped into my lap. Did I have a clue that this was going to happen, not a chance? GOD did!

Oh, did I leave the reader hanging on the contents of the message? The message that was given to me that is intended for the Pastor and not the reader? Did I do that? Well, I don’t have the disk space to type it out for you all. How about a few paragraphs for now and maybe you can watch it being broadcasted on TV in a future Sunday service from Passion City Church.

Throughout the Scriptures, Jesus is quoted as saying “Pharisees and Sadducees, hypocrites, you brood of vipers.” This is because they had turned the Law and the Temple into their own profit center and left GOD out of the picture. Jesus’ arrival was a threat to them by taking GOD out of the Temple and putting him inside each and every one of us. Don’t get me wrong, GOD did send his only son to earth and deliver us from sin if we just follow his ways and teachings. I know that this is really condensed and there is much more to the word than that. However, I am not trying to write a novel here.

Bottom line, we are just as much in the wrong as the Pharisees and the Sadducees were thousands of years ago. We have not learned from their wrongs. We are the Temple now and go about our life directed by self-profit forgetting the teachings from Jesus.  Love your neighbor is an expression that is well quoted. It does not mean the family that lives next door, but every part of humanity. English just does not do the Bible justice. We are the divided house in Matthew 13:13. We are no different than those priests many years ago and were given a warning about it in Matthew 16:3. With all the advancement we have now a day, it is the basic lessons from Jesus that we don’t follow every day or are not taught in church. Jesus was asked “What are the most important commandments?” and he replied to that question in Matthew 22: 37-40.

Pastor Giglio is doing a very good job getting the message out about loving Jesus and how small we all are compared to the Creator of the heavens and the earth. The message that is to be delivered to him is keep up the good work, but could you add some more of this context to it. For it is written, he will be coming back when his word is spread to every corner of the earth. Well, we just are not getting or living all of HIS word. There is a whole book from cover to cover to learn from. Not just parts of it and not just on Sunday, but every day of the week.

Please don’t get me wrong, I am no pastor and I am not trying to preach. I am just sharing my testimony in this story of Daisy’s and my journey. I am just sharing a message that was given to me and not making it up on my own. I am not perfect and don’t fess to be. I was wrong for most of my life and left GOD out of it. I am no doubting Thomas, but I did live in Missouri for a few years! I don’t go kicking and screaming as much as I use to, but I am open now. Open to learning more from GOD and developing a better relationship with HIM!

To HIS grace and glory, I praise you GOD!























3 comments:

  1. John Rackliffe • John,
    I just finished reading of your 100 mile journey and frankly surprised to see that I am the first to comment. I have followed your trials over the past several months and been amazed at what God is doing through them. This blog however, met me at a point where I needed to hear the encouragement of your story not because I am in a particular spot of difficulty or loss but because I at times have the feeling that I have to make things happen in my walk with the Lord. I lead a small group with another brother and as we end our 18 months in the Book of John, we are looking to lead our group of men into a season of discipleship. We desire to give our men urge to pick up their crosses and follow Jesus. But in our humanity it is an exercise in frustration to us. Your story solidified in me as I just finished it what we concluded this morning after our group adjourned. It is the Holy Spirit who will dead us in making disciples, all I and my co-leader must do is start walking. Just like you and Daisy, we need to start walking and watch God is going to do!

    Thank you for being willing and for sharing your story. Glad to hear a job is in your future but sad that we might be missing the richness of the stories you have been telling while in the valley.

    Blessings!
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now available in book form!

    http://au.blurb.com/books/4493458-100-miles-with-god

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I had to correct a mistake.

    http://www.blurb.com/b/4494630-100-miles-with-god

    ReplyDelete